Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hope Community on Sunday

My cousin Ryan and wife Leah are visiting tonight, the whole way from Iowa. Can't wait to sit down and chat with Ryan, a cousin that I wish lived closer. Of course, when you live in Mexico, pretty much everyone is far away.

I've been reading some interesting books of late, the latest two being The Speed of Trust, by Covey (son), and How to Change Everything, by...I forget who. They are business books, but with some real truths for real ministry. Before those two I read Outliers, by Malcom Gladwell, a similar book entitled Freakonomics, by...I forget...and The Good Guy, by Dean Koontz. And the Bible, of course, currently reading through Nehemiah and Esther on my noble pursuit to read through the Bible in 2 years.

I was graciously invited to preach at Hope Community Church this Sunday. Mayra and I will also be involved in the adult Sunday school class. I'll miss my talented artistic sidekick Samuel, who has illustrated my last two sermons at Elizabethtown Grace Brethren Church and Word of Life Chapel.

Oh, and my prediction about the vote to accept Doug Pfeifer as senior pastor at Wolc...my dad said predicting a vote was a bad idea. Yes, of course it was. But the actual vote can in with only one negative vote out of 95 votes submitted...far better than 90%! I'm excited for the church and for a new beginning after around 3 years without a senior pastor at Wolc.

Among other events, I received a back bumper in the mail for our Astro (I love U.S. mail), Daniel learned how to drive a 5-speed ATV all by himself, three deer walked across the road in front of the van on the way to Palmyra today, we found a giant toad on the back porch yesterday and I met with former classmate Greg Grove last night in an eclectic coffee shop called Conestoga Coffee Shop in Elizabethtown for 2 1/2 hours of great conversation last night. Great summer days full of heat and humidity, with sweet nights with orchestrated crickets and katydids, often silenced by a raucous thunderstorm.

No comments: