Monday, July 06, 2009

This weekend was fun! It started with a Friday evening with my almost 90 year old grandmother, Catharine Fry. We stopped to visit both my grandmothers, who are in the same nursing home facility, about 15 minutes from my parents' house. Unfortunately, my mother's mother, Anna, is not able to retain very much information at all, and is cheerful, but quite disoriented. My father's mother, Catharine, however, is very alert and "doesn't miss a trick" as we'd say in PA Dutch-land.

Mayra invited her out for supper. "Why don't you go out to eat with us!" My grandma mentioned several times that she was in an old dress, and that she didn't want us to pay...but finally we convinced her. Really wasn't that hard. All she wanted was a cup of soup and a banana split. I guess when you're almost 90 you can pretty much eat whatever you want. She enjoyed our drive around beautiful Lancaster Co. afterward.

Early Sat. morning we drove about 2 hours to our family cabin. My sister, Beth, had invited 3 of her best friends from Moody days. Two of them were married with three kids a piece. There were 21 of us in all...quite the crew. I managed to catch two nice sized trout; a brook and brown.

We got home just in time to drive down to Longs Park, Lancaster. I took the boys, and met a bunch of young adults and just plain adults for Lancaster's famous July 4th celebration...complete with an orchestra, and the 1810 overture finale. And fireworks...they just kept coming. Here's some pics.




1 comment:

Innocent Smith said...

Hey, I randomly found your blog today and I'm glad that I did. Very interesting stuff. I'm a conservative blogger and seminary student in Chicago (rjmoeller.com). Keep up the good work!