Tuesday, December 04, 2012

What Motivates You?

I mentioned that I had read the book Drive:The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us several months ago, and just found this video (below) embedded on Tony Morgan's blog. I have long thought that money is really way down the list of what motivates people, at least down the list on what motivates me.  Being a Gen-Xer in both age and mentality, aspects like freedom, flexibility, the entrepreneurial spirit and the whole "making a difference" attitude have always been far more motivational.  Couple that with personal passion and providential purpose and, well, that's powerful stuff!  I've mentioned the studies illustrated in the animation to several people. "You probably want to do something interesting.  Let me get out of the way!"  Great concept.  Transcendent Purpose. The video below is a bit lengthy, but if you have 10 minutes, you'll be glad you watched it.

Does anyone else relate to this, or is it just me???

Now, I look at some of the craziness that has happened here, empowered by a HUGE purpose, which is glorifying God and saving people from a very bad eternity, and a long list of already done happenings come to mind.  Breakdancing with a testimony.  Handing out over 60 wheelchairs.  Installing a swingset and four park benches.  Major block parties with Christian bands from several countries.  A coffee shop.  Teaching violin.  Art galleries.  Basketball classes.  Community clean-up campaigns.  I could go on and on.

Tony Morgan also asks this question on his blog: Do You Need a Leadership Coach?  Well, as a matter of fact, I do!  I began bi-monthly coaching sessions via Skype with friend Toby Casteel last week.  Toby is a coach with Coaching Mission International, and organization that seeks to build up leaders through biblically-based input into leaders' lives.  Although I'm still not quite convinced that I am a leader, I am convinced that I need objective help in prioritizing and thinking through multiple decisions related to life and ministry.  Toby is great!  There is a need in all of us simply to be known by another in an ambient of love and trust.

Quote of the Day: The decisive motivation for acting as well as not acting must be our regard of the kingdom of God in which we live as Jesus’ people.
Willard, Dallas. The Divine Conspiracy (p. 200). Harper Collins, Inc..

No comments: