Saturday, December 31, 2011

Books to Read for Early 2012

This morning in the mail I received a GREAT Christmas gift! Emily Nissley, a friend from PA who lives in the D.C. area and attends Capitol Hill Baptist Church, where Mark Dever ministers, sent me (count them, now) 9 books on church planting, most of which are 9Marks books, and several of them I have almost bought in the past...but didn't. I have been on a reading drought lately because my Kindle locked up. I sent it back, and a new one was delivered to my parents' house, but then it was "lost" (a.k.a. stolen) in the mail before it got to me. The empty box returned to my parents' house. Now...I have a whole collection to read. Thanks Emily! The only problem is where to put them...no more room on the bookshelves. We have a strict "Garbage in, garbage out" policy here in our smallish house.

I haven't read a whole lot of Dever and IX Marks material, but am looking forward to digging into it over the next weeks and months.

Here's the list:
What is a Healthy Church? by Mark Dever (small book, almost through it already)
9 Marks of a Healthy Church, by Mark Dever
When People are Big and God is Small, Overcoming Peer Pressure, Co-Dependency and the Fear of Man, by Edward T. Welch
Church Planting is For: Wimps, How God Uses Messed-Up People to Plant Ordinary Churches that Do Extraordinary Things, by Mike McKinley
The Deliberate Church, Building Your Ministry on the Gospel, by Mark Dever and Paul Alexander
Reverberation, How God's Word brings Light, Freedom and Action to His People, by Jonathan Leeman
What is the Mission of the Church, Making Sense of Social Justice, Shalom and the Great Commission, by Kevin DeYoung and Greg Gilbert
Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church, A Guide for Ministry, by Michael Lawrence
The Church and the Surprising Offence of God's Love, Reintroducing the Doctrines of Church Membership and Discipline, by Jonathan Leeman

 Thanks Em!

No comments: