Friday, November 14, 2008

Surprise! We're in PA...

So after an already long day, Daniel and I are in our second plane, a big 767, from Charlotte, NC to Philadelphia. The gate door is closed and we're out on time. Then the pilot indicates that Air Traffic Control has just handed us an hour delay. A few moments later, he indicates that the delay has been reduced to 32 minutes. We finally fly out about an hour late.

Daniel is entralled at our "second class" seating, as he calls it. We were put in aisle 4, right behind first class. We have leg room. Wow, what a comodity! We're almost to Philly when the pilot tells us that due to fog, we've been put on a 30 minute holding pattern. At which I wonder...how much extra fuel do these big jets carry? Isn't this hurting the overall economy burning all this extra fuel? Please, please don't send us to another airport (unless it's Harrisburg).

We finally get in, and after a bit of confusion find my uncle Donnie and Aunt Barb. We arrive at their house around 2 a.m. Tired. Today, the plan was to wake up and visit my parents, who did not know that we were coming. My mother had a doctors appointment, so we ended up calling them and telling her. Emotion and tears (from mom!). Then came to my aunt and uncle's house. Then Daniel appeared. More emotion and tears.

After that we visited both my grandmothers, then on to my sister Beth and her husband Don's house. And Cecilia! What a cutie! After lunch, Daniel helped his grandpa blow leaves off the back porch. Tonight I expect to touch base with the Fry family at the viewing. My cousins, Lance and Ryan, will be there, as well as my uncle and aunt, serving with ABWE in Portugal.

The viewing and funeral service will be a tribute and celebration to my grandfather, who was an example to us of a godly man.

2 comments:

Alan & Beth McManus said...

that's great that you two could go up for the funeral...what a neat thing for your family and you as well

Debbie M said...

So glad you could go up Rod! And surprising the family is always a blast!