Thursday, January 31, 2008

Judging Christmas Carols in Janaury

Last week I was invited to teach 18 English teachers in the public school system here...once a month or so they have continuing education workshops. I taught in the form of a "Jeopardy" game dynamic. The columns were "Verbs", "Past Participle", "Get + preposition", "Grammar" and a couple more that I forget. After the workshop one of the teachers invited me to be a judge for a Christmas Carol sing-off. I felt like Simon on "Mexican Idol." Mayra accompanied me and also ended up being a judge. We went to a very rural school in a small town near here.

We heard songs from 9 groups in all...three groups in each grade, 6th, 7th and 8th. The first group sang "The Little Drummer Boy" with a student pounding on a drum, frightfully out of rthymn unfortunately. Then "Deck the Halls," then "Santa Claus is coming to Town," with the hot sun pouring down. It was fun. Weird, but fun.

No comments: