Sunday, June 02, 2013

Saying Goodbye to Victor

This past Friday night we had another 40+ people in our house, most of them young people, to say goodbye, or at least "hasta luego" to Victor Monterroso. After a cancelled flight from Mexico to Houston causing him to miss a connecting flight, he finally arrived back home in Boston around 2 a.m. this morning.

Victor has threatened to return next summer to learn more Spanish words (like morro, chale, dar lata, etc...) and continue with many of the relationships he started this summer. Next for Victor...on the Germany for a study abroad program. Although he may not of formally studied in Mexico, he certainly learned a lot!

I guess I'll tell this story one more time...Victor was one street away from the finish line working as a volunteer for the Boston marathon when the two bombs exploded. He felt the blast and saw the smoke. Victor was able to contribute in several significant ways here, including teaching a Bible study on Philemon. He will be missed!

David's repertoire of craziness continues to morph, lately it's a crazy face he makes. The last picture, well, doesn't need much explaining!

Quote of the Day: A friend of mine gave me a watch I still wear. One hand says Remember, and the other hand says You will die. Every time somebody asks me, “What time is it?” I look at this watch. Every time I look at my wrist, what I see is, “Remember you will die.” A friend gave me this watch. Not a good friend really … but it helps me remember.
Ortberg, John Who Is This Man?: The Unpredictable Impact of the Inescapable Jesus (p. 25).

No comments: