Saturday, July 07, 2012

Car issues

Mayra and I have been rather frantically preparing for a gigantic trip, coming up very soon, with so many details...slowing the list is being checked off.  Might even be able to actually start packing soon.  Some of the details have been car-related.  Our new van, you may recall, was stolen.  We were able to get replacement electronic keys (at over $300 a key...not everything is cheaper here), trying to get the van's inspected, oil changed, and with the proper insurance for both countries.

Last week I took the interns to Puebla, and the next day the Journey politely told me when I turned it on in the morning that the back left tire was low.  I filled it up on the way to school, but the next day was low again.  I took it to get patched, and yes, it had a big nail in it.  

Now, how does the car know that the tire is low?  I had the same question.  Thankfully, I asked the rather burly man fixing the flat the same question, and I suspect he took a bit more care in taking off the tire.  There is a sensor in the inside of the rim, turns out.  I do wonder who many tire changes a sensor like that will take before it breaks, from a slip of the tire iron or whatever.

Yesterday I took the Dodge Journey to get an oil change before our big trip.  What should have been a 30 minute process took the better part of 3 hours.  Turns out the oil filter was not available at the local AutoZone.  Go figure!

Here are some car pics!  Note the size of the nail that was removed!

Quote of the Day: No task is more important in the first years of ministry in a new culture than the building of trusting relationships with the people." Paul Hielbert
As quoted inCross-Cultural Servanthood: Serving the World in Christlike Humility 


No comments: