Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Mexico reflections from Crystal

Crystal Langer has been down here with us in Ixtapaluca several times now...for the internship program last year as a student, then this past summer as one of the internship leaders. She returned to Ixtapaluca about a month ago. She is a recent Biola graduate. Her reflections on her time here in Mexico are always fun. Here's her most recent edition:

Another two weeks have passed already! Things have been going well as I've been settling into life in Mexico. I've been teaching English, helping with the youth group, attending the women's Bible study, spending time with different people and families from the church and doing whatever else happens to come up! That's the fun part, I literally never know quite what to expect each day.

Only In Mexico…
My language blunder of last week was informing everyone that during Christmas my family picks out and then worships (instead of decorates) a Christmas tree. Had some backpedaling to do after that one. This week I repeatedly asked the cashier at Oxxo for clothing soup (instead of soap…should have known better on that one!). I have spent a couple crazy days in downtown Mexico City, including the bus*, metro at rush hour, great taco stands and swarms of vendors**. Oh, I found the church's "adopted" dog dead, and we had to figure out how to dispose of the body. Wish I was kidding! I also made a note of a few Spanish phrases to learn before babysitting again in Mexico***. (see footnotes*)

Fresh Faith, Firm Faith
OK, time to be serious! Let me try to give you a clearer picture of my church family here. The church was started by Rod and Mayra just over three years ago. About 70 people regularly attend and over half of them have been believers less than three years. There is a freshness in their faith that has been so encouraging to me. The joy of salvation is present here; these people still remember the broken lives they have been saved from. To see this you need look no further than Sunday morning praise music. I think every time I hear, "Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs (Psalm 100:2)," I will think of the church here in Ixtapaluca.

The other thing that has really impressed me about the church is their response to trials. The church itself and most of the families have faced way more than their share of difficulties in this past year. Yet they not only are standing firm but are growing stronger in their faith. I'm sure that part of this is because of where they live. Mexico is so different from the States. Things aren't expected to run smoothly here. Injustice, corruption, inconvenience and pain are much more a part of daily life. It seems to me that because of this there is a lot less blaming or questioning God for troubles, and more acceptance of the circumstances in which they find themselves. I have been amazed at the faith of so many of the church members here as I have heard their stories and their prayers. I have so much to learn from them! They are young believers but they are sure of their God, praising Him in both good times and bad. As James 1:12 says: "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him."

Prayer Requests

Mauricio and Griselda: They are a pretty new to the church. This weekend their family was on vacation in Cancun and while they were there Griselda's father (who was with them) had a heart attack and passed away. Really tragic. Pray for them.
Melanie, Adriana and Alejandra: These are a few of the girls I already know and would like to continue building relationships with. Keep praying for the youth group in general too.

I'm still looking for a Spanish tutor. It would be really nice if I could find someone soon!

Women's Conference: This Saturday about 20-25 women from the church will be going to a conference on spiritual gifts. For quite a few this will be the first time to consider this topic. Pray for God to work in the lives of the women who go and for great fellowship as we are there!
Thank you so much for your prayers! I literally can tell that people are praying.

God bless,
Crystal


*A bus hit an elephant in Mexico City the same day I was there. True story. After my experience on the bus that day, I wasn't even surprised.
** My favorite part is when the shoe vendors take out a lighter and proceed to demonstrate to you that their products do not burn. I'm trying to think of something more ridiculous than flame-retardant high heel shoes. So if the building catches on fire your toes will remain unharmed thus enabling you to run from the flames as fast as your pointy footwear will take you?
***The GI Joes are happier with all their extremities, please stop bashing them into the floor. Everyone who does not live here needs to stop hiding behind the furniture and leave right now. Take the Barbie head out of the drain right now because the sink is overflowing with water. OK...it's not actually funny that the sink is overflowing with water. Where in the world did this dog running through the house come from?

No comments: